Google recently released the Pixel 4a as a new mid-range phone that does not come to impress by its hardware. After all, the company’s strategy is more focused on the software part. That comes by offering the best possible Android support and by offering some of the best cameras in the market even without much-advanced hardware. As you might know all the magic behind the Pixel phones’ excellent photography capabilities goes underneath the Google Camera app a.k.a GCam.
Exclusive features often come with the company’s app like HDR+ and Astrophotography. These technologies made Pixel phones stand against the competition. In some cases, Pixel phones produce better images than your handset a Penta-Camera setup. Due to the wonders brought by this application, the community flourished with custom ports of the app named Gcam. There are multiple variations of the app offering a wide array of features and extensive support for several Android smartphones.
Today, we’re bringing an update for one of the most popular MODs inside the Gcam community. It is named UltraCVM and offers HDR+ modes, Astrophotography as well as a wide variety of controls to improve the image quality. However, the mod seems to support only Android 10 and Android 9 Pie devices. It’s a limitation from the GCAM 7.3 base.
WHAT IS GCAM? AND ULTRACVM MOD?
In short, Gcam is a mod that aims to bring the Google Camera app to several smartphones and ensure that all features work with them. There are several variations of Gcam. Some are meant for multiple Android devices, while others are made specifically for a single smartphone. Multiple developers are working on Gcam and we have today an active community of users using the Mod.
“ULTRACVM IS AN ONGOING PROJECT OF BUILDING A GCAM THAT WOULD FULFILL THE NEED FOR AN EXTREME IMAGING TOOL AIMED TOWARDS EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY FOR MOST UP-TO-DATE SENSORS USED IN FLAGSHIP DEVICES. BASED ON RESPECTIVE AND KNOWN DEVS, KEEPING AND EXTENDING THEIR FEATURES.”
The new mod is a complete rework on the GCAM 7.3 base. It was made by the developer UltraM8, and all credits go for him and the community behind the GCAM project. It brings a new design and advanced features. If you’ve some knowledge in image controls, you may be able to capture stunning photos with your smartphone. However, you can simply install the app and most features will be available at startup. As aforementioned, the UI is the fruit of a great amount of work and the final result is simply awesome.
GCAM 7.3 APP MOD BASE FEATURES:
- Automatic DND mode while using video-recording.
- Re-arranged settings UI.
- 24FPS video recording.
- Exposure controls to adjust brightness and HDR of your photo.
- Astrophotography implemented to Night Sight.
- Received Frequent Faces to help you capture Top Shot photos.
- Touch and Hold shortcut in the shutter button to capture Top Shot photos.
ULTRACVM V.5.1 UPDATE FEATURES
- Recalc S5K3l6 black level
- Added imx471 & imx689 noise models
- Set imx363 noise model as default for non supported devices
- Further DR experiments
- Further detail experiments
- Added full range of variance denoisers radiuses & advanced alignment denoisers
- Added awb redpoint setting to patcher: you can now try to compensate pink/purplish tint on Samsung sensors by inverting the color a little (thx r0m10 for lib examination on this) – added GMM600 gamma & tone (thx to Fertde & And_rjy)
OTHER INTERESTING FEATURES OF ULTRACVM MOD
Among the best features offered by this mod, we can list some that surely make it stand against other Gcam mods.
This mod brings a major design overhaul in comparison to standard Gcam offering a plethora of features and intuitive settings.
Ultra CVM 5 brings controls for adjusting shutter speed, exposure, ISO, and Focus.
SUPPORT FOR RAW
Users can opt for the lossless RAW mode to preserve all the details of shots.
XIAOMI API2 CAMERA AND AI KEY SUPPORT
Allows owners of Xiaomi devices to adjust specific manual controls in the camera
This one made a buzz with the introduction of the Pixel 4 series last year. This mode allows the camera to take a shot of celestial objects, like stars, under darker circumstances.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL GCAM ULTRACVM IN YOUR ANDROID DEVICE
The list of compatible devices include:
- OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro, 7T and 7T Pro;
- OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro;
- Pocophone F1;
- Redmi Note 8;
- Redmi Note 7 and 7 Pro
- Mi 9T and Mi 9T Pro (Redmi K20 and K20 Pro)
- Redmi K30 aka Poco X2
- Samsung Galaxy S10e;
- Galaxy S10 e Galaxy S10+;
- Galaxy Note 10 e Note 10+.
- Moto X4
- Moto G6 and G7 Series
- LG V20, LG V30
- LG G8, LG G7, LG G6
The list isn’t limited to these devices, as said before, you can try it on your Android 9+ smartphone to know if everything is working. Some features may be available for all devices, while others don’t. If you want to have a deep look at UltraM8’s work, you can check the source link for his particular page at CelsoAzevedos’s GCAM repository or thread on XDA-Developers.
The procedure is quite simple and you just need to follow the instructions below:
- Download the APK provided (Click Save As)
- Select and Install it ( You’ll be prompted with the request for allowing app installation from external sources, don’t worry the app is safe).
- Open the Google Camera once the icon appears in your launcher
- For older versions of Android, you can try and download Gcam 7.2, 7.1, or any mod that is compatible with your version.
Now you’re ready for enjoying all the exciting features of UltraVCM 5.0 GCam mode. It includes the Astrophotography feature and the 24FPS recording mode. The latter is a must for all cinematography lovers! You can also customize the gamma and tone curves.